Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Shotaimen (First Meeting)

I was very determined yesterday to write something interesting in my blog. Howevcer, it was a dull day. I went to school, nothing interesting there, came home dead tired (because the day before yesterday I went to sleep quite late, due to a prolonged conversation with a friend of mine in the US, where, apparently, it was just 18:00). I then went to Math (boring again) and I came home wanting to get some rest. That's when I saw that I had 5 missed calls from Andrei (for those of you who don't know, Andrei is my Japanese teacher). I gave him a ring, he caled me back and said: "Come over fast, I have some Japanese people you need to meet!"

So, about 20 minitues later, after I got to Andrei's place, a really interesting meeting occurred. These were the first Japanese people I've met. Started with a polite: "Hajimemashite! Victor desu. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!" (I've always wanted to say that for real). Then they introduced themselves, Naru and Misako. They are friends of Andrei's teacher, who went to Japan and got married there (and probably lives happily there). She came to visit people here in Romania, so they came along.

The next few hours passed by, mostly involving Andrei's translation of my thoughts in their language, however, and I am very proud of myself for this, it wasn't all that necessary the other way around. I understood most of what they said (happi~!) We talked about anime (my favourite subject when it comes to Japanese), Japanese music, and differences between Japanese and Romanian culture (yep, there's a lot to talk about there...)

It was fun. I learnt a lot (and that's something awesome and fun, like Kintaro Oe would say.) One thing, not all Japanese are short. I must say, Naru is probably a basketball superstar in Japan, I mean, he was taller than us (and though I'm not the tallest person there is, Andrei is certainly tall enough to be a benchmark.) I also learnt that Megumi Hayashibara isn't all that famous in Japan. All in all, I loved the encounter (can hardly wait to have to do with Japanese again!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some ppl get all the fun :) I'm glad for you though.

Comparison of Romanian culture. LOLz you probably meant the Romanian LACK of culture. Or the Romanian stolen/made up/inexistent culture. I'm not even sure they have a real history.

Anyways glad that ppl from Japan dared to come here in this sorry excuse of a country. Bad place to visit and you definietly don't want to live here. not that you could anyways. It's easier to starve here than to live. Hell we even have luxury tax on electricity!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I just had to sign up to answer to this. You want a difference between Romanian culture and Japanese culture? Well, for one, I really don't think a Japanese person would go around bad-mouthing his or her country, but would shut up and try to do something about it. Oh, yeah, it's very easy to attack your country and it does seem to be the rage. But you are part of it, even if you didn't ask for it, so you are partly resonsible for the state it's in. There is no imaginary being that is your country and is making you ashamed of it. You are your country and thus you must be ashamed of yourself.

You seem not to want any progress for Romania, or you would start seeing its good sides or at least shut up about its bad sides. You and people like you are doing just as good a job of keeping investors and tourists from bringing money into the country as the actual economy. So stop being an ass and be a responsible Romanian. It's your duty, and "duty" is a word a Japanese person would understand. Unlike some Romanians, it seems.

And there's your difference.

Anonymous said...

ROMANIA IS A SHITHOLE COUNTRY !!!

that being said, i wouldn't trade cluj-napoca for grenoble even if you payed me to!

also, fischflosse, "you are doing just as good a job of keeping investors and tourists from bringing money into the country as the actual economy", is bullshit, it is our brave leaders that steal the bread from our mouths so they could buy a new (7th or 8th) villa!

the japs understand that the employer is also responsible for the employee, not just the other way around.

remember, japan lost the war and still now they are a significant economic power today (and germany likewise), while we've been trying to get rid of our brave communist leaders for 15 (!!!) years.

so pls don't go comparing japan or germany to romania, it might produce one of those quantum continuum paradoxes the doc has always been telling marty about (the ones that could destroy the entire universe).

Anonymous said...

Oh, puhleez... You're just avoiding responsibility. Everyone is responsible. Leaders and your average Joe. If you don't get out of your comfort zone and do what you can for the country, encourage civic participation/ responsibility/ initiative, you bloody hell deserve your leaders.

Problem is you're used to being spoon-fed. Everything has to come from the government, the good and the bad. Well guess what, it all starts from the bottom, from the likes of you, who go around splattering mud like picturesque "ţaţe".

Want progress? Don't waste energy with laying the blame, and start doing something productive. Bring about the change. Şi nu te mai plânge ca o babă.

Anonymous said...

try bringing on the change when everybody else is swimming the other way (i DID try, several times, to no avail)

second, what would an 18-19 old who just finished highschool know about being independent !?
(or have you been supporting yourself all these years - if so i appologize for my last comment)

Anonymous said...

What does economic independence from my parents have to do with independence from the government, i.e. not waiting for my opportunity in life to come from the government and then complaining that no miracle happens? Which is what I did. I found myself outside sponsors.

And yes, I did try to be independent from what was offered by the system and encourage civic responsibility. Yes, I did fail. So what? I'm not going to blame a fictive "Romania", I'm going to see it for what it is: I simply didn't try hard enough. Better luck next time.

The point is, you're not solving anything by throwing anarchic invectives. You're actually making it worse because you're encouraging pasivity. So do us all a favour and don't add to the problems of this society.

Anonymous said...

can you hear yourself? you sound like an old communist propaganda leaflet. "service guarantees citizenship!". you might want to join the ministry of truth with this attitude.

of course, most people at the age of 19 are idealistic and "know" that they can change the world (bring on world peace, cure cancer, so on); then they take a dip in reality and change their minds :(